The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) (www.ciat.cgiar.org) – a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org) – develops technologies, innovative methods, and new knowledge that better enable farmers, especially smallholders, to make agriculture competitive and profitable as well as sustainable and resilient. CIAT conducts research for development in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
CIAT is seeking to recruit a Finance & Administration Officer with the responsibility of providing overall finance and administrative management for the ongoing projects of CIAT in Lusaka, Zambia. The position will supervise the country administration and finance team, and work closely with the regional coordinators based in Nairobi to ensure adherence to policies, procedures and compliance with host country requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Projects Administration
- Provide guidance to researchers in the preparation of proposal budgets; review project budgetary information for planning and forecasting, monitor budget execution and prepare monthly updates
- Monitor payments to field partners and ensure proper financial reporting from them; provide guidance as necessary in preparing their returns and reviewing their expenditure supporting documentation
- Act as a liaison between IFPRI finance team, CIAT HarvestPlus finance office and Zambia country project team
- Ensure timely budget tracking and regular verification of reported HarvestPlus Country expenses using QuickBooks software
2. Host Country Requirements & CIAT Policies & Procedures Compliance
- Manage and monitor agreements pertaining to CIAT and Government of Zambia institutional relations
- Follow up on renewal and management of hosting and other general partner agreements
- Oversee Human Resource arrangements and ensure regular dissemination/education on policies and procedures; implement and monitor adherence to CIAT policies and country labor laws
- Coordinate tax/duty exemption applications from the Government where applicable, ensuring compliance with duty/tax regulations in line with host country agreement
- Continuously monitor relevant government laws and regulations in the country (labor, tax, levies, etc.) and keep management updated
Internal Control Systems Management
- Review payments, confirm budget availability before payments are approved and ensure proper controls in accordance with grant agreement
- Oversee compliance to the CIAT monthly accounts closing chronogram, timely submission of reconciliations and other accounting reports
- Timely accounting analysis, reporting and adjustments of staff accounts and supplier accounts
- Ensure sufficient internal controls are in place both for the accounting function and for all the project seed stores Treasury (Cash) Management
- Maintain good working relationships with the CIAT official bank
- Ensure a proper/standard system of petty cash management with regular reconciliations to ensure maintenance of sufficient funds balances to support operations
- Cross-check approved/signed online payments on the online banking platform and send to bank for processing of payments
Management of Audit Process
- International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT)
- Recruiting for a Finance & Administration Officer
- Coordinate station audit processes in liaison with the regional finance team by continuously monitoring documentation and processes and ensure implementation of audit recommendations
Payroll management and tax compliance
- Supervise the monthly payroll by providing HR input and ensure tax compliance and other statutory deductions and remittances
- Oversee the VAT remittance and claims process
- Update the team and the regional office on new regulation or changes in tax laws
4. General Administration
- Supervise Finance Assistant and Administrative & Logistics Assistant, and support their professional development.
- Manage, review and respond to the internal and external communication flow drafting correspondence and responding to queries from collaborators and internal clients
- Lead the procurement process – identifying, evaluating and recommending potential suppliers/service providers and management of active supplier contracts
- Oversee Fleet Management and take a lead in office vehicle acquisitions, registration and disposals
- Provide oversight over the Travel and Conferences function by managing relationships with the service providers and ensuring adherence to travel authorization process for project staff and collaborators
- Coordinate the security function for staff, hosted institutions, premises and assets
Qualification and Experience:
- Degree in a relevant subject with proven administration skills
- Possess full accounting professional certification e.g. CPA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.
- At least five (5) to eight (8) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field in an international organization with prior experience with donor funded projects
- Qualification in project management will be an added advantage
- Good understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Zambia tax and labor laws
- High level of computer skills, ability to handle complex financial and accounting systems, proficient in accounting software and ability to learn new applications quickly
- Highly effective planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation
- Demonstrated people management skills, including excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of integrity and respect for confidentiality
- A genuine appreciation for and understanding of protocol, discretion and professionalism
- Ability to effectively liaise with colleagues and partners in a diverse multi-cultural environment
Terms of employment:
This is a national position based in Lusaka, Zambia and will be for an initial period of One (1) Year, renewable subject to three (3) months’ probation, assessment of performance, and availability of resources. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to submit their applications for this position, clearly indicating position applied for as HV-2149: FAO-Lusaka. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
Please ensure that you mention www.zambianjobhunter.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Applications closing date: 31st August, 2018
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.