ActionAid Zambia (AAZ) is part of the ActionAid Global (AAG) Federation, sharing common values and aims to drive social change towards a just, equitable and sustainable world. AAZ works with marginalised and excluded women and young people, their organizations and movements to address the structural causes of social injustice, gender inequality and poverty.
ActionAid Zambia has a vacancy for an experienced and suitably qualified Zambian to fill the position of GRANTS ACCOUNTANT
The Grant Accountant performs the accounting and financial service functions for programs funded by grants and individual giving. These functions include: preparing financial projections, budgets, reviewing/monitoring of individual grants and transactions for compliance with Actionaid Zambia Finance policies and procedures and donor contracts.
This position is established to work in close collaboration with many stakeholders and accurately account for project costs, thoroughly analyze variances to budget and clearly communicate these results to management.
- Support the process for grant applications, evaluation and selection of grant sub partners
- Work with Grant and Compliance Manager and appropriate Country Office staff in the development of forecasts, budgets and budget revisions.
- Review partner disbursement requests and facilitating disbursements.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports on grants for internal management purposes.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports to donors as required.
- Disseminate monthly financial results with appropriate program staff.
- Work with the Finance Manager on cash flow forecasts for programs.
- Undertake monthly review and reconciliation of bank accounts associated with the grants.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations for staff float accounts and ensure timely retirements as per procedure.
- Review supplier invoices and provide account codes, when appropriate, for proper project accounting.
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager to process journal entries.
- Ensure compliance of grants with Actionaid Zambia and Donor policies/procedures.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis in response to requests or to provide support to various programs.
- Carry out field visits in order to support financial management of the grant, conduct periodic compliance review of grant, to include financial management overviews with field office staff and partner staff.
- Train and provide ongoing technical assistance to field office finance staff and program partners on best practices for financial management systems to strengthen their capacity.
- Support required audits of the grant.
- Identify and recommend cost savings initiatives for program activities and the organization
- Compile year-end reports, work papers and analysis necessary for auditors to complete the yearly audit of the Organisation.
- Maintain Asset Register and Inventory Lists of all grant assets.
- Prepare and submit statutory returns to relevant authorities.
- Maintain sufficient grant documentation such as MoUs, Internal and External Communications and make them available when required.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Professional Qualification such as ACCA, CIMA or Bachelor’s Degree in Finance plus 3-5 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, preferably in the non-profit organization.
- 2-3 years’ experience grants and project management.
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial officers.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and summarize financial records for accuracy and compliance to procedures, rules and regulations.
- Capable of managing multiple projects and partners.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Good track record in delivering accurate, high quality work and reports to deadlines and to required standards.
- Flexible approach to work, willing to play a full role in ensuring the success of the team
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae highlighting how you match the criteria in the Job Description to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 3rd September 2018 at 17:00 hours.
Please ensure that you mention www.zambianjobhunter.com as the source of this job advertisement.
ActionAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EoE). Qualified women are encouraged to apply. Please Note: While we value all applications, we can only respond to short listed candidates.
Action Aid’s Website: www.actionaid.org/zambia