Exciting Career Opportunity
Ecobank Zambia is a full service bank providing a broad range of products and Services to Consumer, Commercial and Corporate business segments within the Country.
The Bank’s vision is to build a world-class Pan-African bank and contribute to the economic development and financial integration of Africa by providing customers with convenient, accessible and reliable financial products and services. The Bank is an affiliate of the Pan-Africa Leader Ecobank Group which is present in 33 Countries in Africa.
In order to respond to our growing market with the required human capital, we are currently looking for an experienced professional in the following area:
Job Title: Legal Officer
Reports to: HEAD OF LEGAL/COMPANY SECRETARY
1. Primary Purpose:
- To deal with Legal issues.
- Provide support and advice to the all the departments as and when required.
- Liaise with the bank’s external advocates on litigation cases and other legal matters.
- Assist in debt collection by handling debt collection cases internally and by working closely with the Risk Management Department on cases being handled by the external lawyers.
- Handle and respond to all garnishees and any enquiries by authorized bodies on the bank.
- eview legal documents and contracts.
To make available for the bank and management consideration, the appropriate Legal advice on all legal and regulatory issues.
- Identify expertise required to implement business strategies, in terms of roles and skills
- Facilitate preparation, execution and registration of all security documents for and on behalf of the bank.
- Review all legal files and security documentation and ensure that the same adequately cover all risks
- Advise shareholders and stakeholders on key regulatory and statutory developments that impinge the business of the bank.
- Ensure that the bank is adequately represented on all legal and other matters.
2. Advisory & Co-ordination of Legal Affairs
To provide Legal Advisory services to all staff and ensure that all staff are aware of the Legal Risk faced by the Bank and ways of mitigating such risks.
- Offer guidance to Branches on all legal issues;
- Ensure that evidence in all court proceedings where the bank is a party is availed;
- Attendance and preparation of Minutes of departmental Meetings.
- Taking appropriate action against loan defaulters from sending out demand notices to
finalization of matters under litigation
- Liaison with external advocates in respect of litigation and conducting litigation on behalf of the Bank as and when called upon to do so.
- Attending to existing and prospective loan customers
- Availing opinions on legal issues affecting the Bank
3. Legal Operations and Information Systems
To organize, process and produce monthly reports, data and information for informed management decisions.
- Gather, analyze and maintain data and information on Legal cases
- Maintain and coordinate the documentation register.
- Ensure implementation and compliance with operational instructions from Legal and
Experience: 3 – 6 years’ work experience in Legal practice.
Education: LLB and Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education; Advocate of the High Court of
- Proven leadership, organisation and mentoring skills.
- Empathic listener and extensive experience in writing law documentation.
- Excellent analytical skills enhanced during my employment and academic experience.
- Dynamic, result oriented problem solver.
- Strong commitment to team environment dynamics with the ability to contribute expertise
and follow leadership directives at appropriate times.
- Strong IT capabilities, fully conversant with Microsoft office, outlook and legal research.
- Confident, articulate, with professional speaking abilities.
If you meet the requirements above and would like to be part of our vibrant and result oriented team, send your application clearly stating the position you are applying for in your cover letter with a detailed Curriculum Vitae including copies of your academic qualifications to:
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. The closing date for receiving applications is Friday 7th September 2018. Please ensure that you mention www.zambianjobhunter.com as the source of this job advertisement.