Mechanical Technical Advisor – Trucks
Lumwana Mine, Solwezi, Zambia.
Reporting to: Trucks Superintendent
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for an experienced and qualified individual to be considered for the position of Mechanical Technical Advisor – Trucks
Reporting to the Trucks Superintendent, you will be responsible for Improving the reliability and availability of the mobile maintenance team by building, assessing and continuously improving the equipment availability. Identify, develop and implement improvement initiatives to increase efficiency and effectiveness of mobile maintenance and operations processes. Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Monitor condition of equipment.
- Carry out routine and statutory inspections.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities.
- QA/QC of planned maintenance and breakdown repairs on mining trucks.
- QA/QC of planned maintenance, breakdown repairs on project and truck fleet.
- Measure and report overall maintenance performance
- Actively promote full cooperation between the maintenance and mining operation.
- Take full responsibility and accountability for the performance of the mobile maintenance team.
- Prepare and control cost budgets for mobile maintenance teams.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improving of maintenance processes and systems.
- Measure and report overall equipment and infrastructure performance.
- Cooperate with the maintenance planners regarding input schedules and accurate information.
- Develop, implement and maintain safe work procedures and promote high safety and health awareness. Promote and comply with the LMC Occupational Health & Safety Policy.
- Be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the team.
- Ensure appropriate facilities, procedures and workforce competence to achieve legal compliance, incident prevention and the achievement of tasks in an environmentally sustainable manner.
- Maintain and develop relationships with stakeholders in LMC’s mining activities, consistent with Barrick’s Community Relations Policies.
- Become actively involved in Barrick’s aims and objectives of engaging with the local community and strive to leave a positive impact on the longer-term outcomes for local people. Promote the integration between this engagement and the success of the business.
- Prepare and manage the budget for the function.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of up to date job procedures for all tasks performed within the function.
- Develop objectives for sharing common infrastructure and support services across Barrick and cascade this throughout function.
- Ensure effective communication with delegate prior to departure from site.
- Be visible in the workplace
Experience & Qualifications
Desirable, in addition to the key skills and experience required:
- Diploma/Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Certified applicable Trade qualification.
- Significant experience (10 years post apprenticeship) in Heavy Earthmoving Equipment maintenance.
- Experience in large multi pit operations utilizing large scale mining equipment.
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian drivers’ license or be able to obtain one.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English and show a commitment to understand local culture and impart your mining operations and technical knowledge to the local Zambian mine operations personnel.
- Competent in incident/accident investigation
- Commitment to training of Zambian national citizens
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team safely and improve team safety awareness.
- High level understanding of all relevant legislation affecting the employment and safety of persons in the mining industry in Zambia.
- Experience in managing costs and budgeting
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas
Ability to read and interpret Microsoft project softwareZambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: A Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.