Nkana Water and Sewerage Company is a Commercial Water Utility Company providing quality Water and Sanitation Services to its customers in Kitwe, Kalulushi and Chambishi. In its quest to improve service delivery, the Company seeks to employ suitable, highly motivated and goal oriented professionals to fill the following vacancies:
1. DIRECTOR LEGAL SERVICES AND COMPANY SECRETARY (X1)
This is a senior position reporting to the Managing Director. Thejob holder shall be a member Of the senior management team.
To provide efficient and effective professional legal and secretarial services to Nkana Water and Sewerage Company (NWSC), Management and the Board Of Directors in order to safeguard the Company’s interests and ensure smooth functioning of the Company and Board.
The responsibilities ofthe job holder shall be to:
- Manage, direct and coordinate the legal and company secretarial function and plan the activities of the Department.
- Attend to all legal matters and represent the company in litigation before the courts of law and at tribunals or before other bodies as required
- Provide a central service of guidance and advise to the Board of Directors and within the Company on matters of law, ethics and good and maintain effective liaison
- Liaise with the Board Chairperson in the convening of Board and sub-committee meetings and facilitate the proper preparation and organization of meetings of the Board and the sub committee. Prior to the meetings, consolidate submissions to the Board from the Directors and various Heads of Departments for reporting and circulation to the Board and sub-committees upon approval by the Managing Director. Ensure that all Board decisions are communicated clearly to relevant persons and follow up action taken, as required.
- Ensure the Companv convenes annual general meetings in accordance with the Companies Act and shareholder resolutions communicated.
- Ensure all minutes of the Board and sub-committees and annual general meetings ofthe Company are accurately recorded and that records ofthe minutes ofthe meetings are properly maintained.
- Ensure that the Company lodges with the Registrar of Companies all such returns as are required and that all such returns are true, correct and up to date within prescribed statutory timelines.
- Interpret and render guidance and check compliance of the Company’s relevant statutory, regulatory and contractual obligations t ensure the Company operates, conforms and complies with necessary legal requirements and identify, evaluate and advise on legal and regulatory risks.
- Keep the Company informed of laws and regulations impacting the Company and provide legal opinions, as appropriate.
- Review and provide advice on all legal agreements, undertake or participate m contract negotiation and ensure that all the Company’s agreements are properly drafted and protect the interests of the Company Manage, coordinate and evaluate external counsel services procured by the Company.
- Liaise with the Heads of Department for the Commercial and Finance Departments in the monitoring and recovery of Company debts.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree
- Must be an Advocate of the HWhCourt for Zambia with current and valid Practicing Certificate from the Law Association of Zambia.
- At least five years post bar qualification experience.
- Must have at least five years senior management experience
- Sound Company law and Commercial experience will be an added advantage
- Should be capable ofworking under pressure.
- Should be a team player.
- Should be competent in handling litigation and secretarial work unsupervised.
- Should have excellent communication skills.
- Should owe the Company the duty of skill, care and diligence.
Interested applicants who are suitably qualified and experienced for the above position should submit their application letters, detailed CVs and the names and addresses of three referees to the address below by 7th December, 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
Director ofHuman Resources and Administration Services
Nkana Water and Sewerage Company
Off Freedom Way,
P.O. Box 20982